Sunday, March 22, 2020

Covid-19 market selloff: It's ok to "panic". It's key to survival

Many retail investors have been caught up in the panic selling caused by the Covid-19 virus scare. REITs and local banks are popular among retirees and FF(financial freedom) seekers for their dividends. Several REITs fell 50% within the last 20 days. Naturally, many retail investors will panic sell at recent lows. Last Friday (20Mar2021), some REITs made monstrous gains as much as 20% intraday. Those who panic-sold at recent lows may be having a miserable weekend regretting their bad sell.

During panicky time like now, here are some standard investment advice you hear;
- Our worst enemies are ourselves because of our emotions
- Fear and greed drives humans to buy at the highs and and sell at the lows.
- Panic is bad.
- Be cool as a cucumber. Don't lose your head while others lose theirs.

I can't argue against these standard investment advice. They are standard because they are mostly right but in investment, there is no absolute right. It's not a STEM topic. Based on personal experience, it's ok to "panic". It's why I'm still surviving in the financial markets. The key is to panic early with a sense of proportion. Easy to say, not so easy to execute, though.

My personal favourite proprietary market timing indicator on when to get out as the market gets jittery is the lao-sai(diarrhea) indicator. When I start to shit too many times a day because of a bloody market, I sell and cut my risk exposure to the point when I can resume my normal shitting of once per day. George Soros has similar timing indicator. He gets backache while I shit more often. My shitting has served me well and is key to my survival in the financial markets. If your portfolio is affecting your body and mind, then sell to the point until the risk exposure no longer affects your body and mind.

Some people would say this is proprietary and cannot be copied. I would argue that fear is a basic instinct of human beings. Nature has blessed all of us with this basic fear instinct which is key to survival of the human race. You don't have to copy. It's in all of us. Don't try to suppress your fear by pretending to be a cool cucumber. Use the Force!

Having said that, do try to sell with a sense of proportion. Don't sell until the baby is thrown out with the bathwater. I can't go into specifics here. I don't like to write articles as if I sound like a guru. Frankly speaking, I don't know what the market is going to do tomorrow or which stocks are going to make money with a high level of certainty. When I get fearful, I don't read other people's articles/opinion pieces for assurance. Often, these financial articles are biased. If the writer has a huge position on, he will be bullish and talk up his stocks. If the writer just sold off his position, he will be bearish and talk down stocks. The bias can be subconscious with no ill intention if the writer is not paid. Now, if the writer is paid, I won't say he has ill intention but he has got to do whatever he is paid to do. The paid financial analyst/salesman can wax lyrical on whatever stance he is paid to promote.  In investment, you can always find data to support whatever stance you want to make. If you don't know about the topic, you are a sheep waiting to be fleeced.

So, don't rely on others, especially when it comes to money matters, because there's a lot of hidden agenda. Better rely on yourself. Nobody knows your own unique situation better than yourself.

If I were still an amateur with no systematic process to deal with an unprecedented market sell-off, then what I will do is to get in tune with my own body signals. For example, my lao-sai indicator. Be myself and listen to myself, not others. Use the Force, Luke. It's in all of us.

If you happen to be one of those who panic-sold and the stock you sold one day ago shockingly rise 20% the next day, don't feel bad. I think you did the right thing to survive. If you stay put or even double-down and the stock subsequently crashes another 50%, rest in peace. Nobody knows for sure how the stock will turn out but I would rather be the person who fights and runs away, so that he shall live to fight another day.

In financial markets as in everything else in life, you don't have to win all the time but you damn well have to survive all the time.

10 comments:

  1. Hyom,

    I learned something new today ;)

    "Lao-sai" indicator!?

    That's new!

    Me? I use the boring "sleep" indicator ;)


    We are on the same page.

    Investing/trading should not cause us grief be it be mind, body, or soul...

    If it does, I would either pare down my positions or just walk away flat with zero positions on.

    I never trade/invest when I'm "tilted".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SMOL,

      On the opposite extreme of "panic" selling, I start hearing things like whether this is the opportunity of a lifetime to sell car, sell house and go all in. Often, intelligent people get too engrossed analysing over what to buy and neglect the important question of how much to buy. They let their greed decide on how much to buy and failed to consider the consequences of being wrong, especially if the likelihood seems low.

      Delete
    2. hyom,

      Tell that to the Japanese - everytime there's a mini-bull market, hopes of reaching the previous all time high were dashed, again and again...

      3 decades and waiting!?


      Those one-in-a-lifetime opportunists are assuming we'll have a V-shaped recovery and retake STI 3400 in 12 months?

      What if we need 14 years or more to recapture STI 3400 ever again?

      Just like Nasdaq did to recover back to its 2000 highs?

      Well, everything is just a speculation ;)

      Your guess is as good as mine!

      Delete
    3. Hi SMOL,

      For young investors who started after 2008 GFC, buying on the dips has been rewarding for them for more than a decade until this year, particularly if they invest in U.S stocks. People are more convinced by personal experience than what can be read in books about other people's painful experiences. It is very hard for people who have been making money buying on the dips to appreciate the painful experience suffered by the Japanese until similar experience strikes them.

      Risk management concepts can be easily understood on an intellectual level. To really appreciate and act on these concepts will take a deep, painful experience.

      Delete
    4. 🌖Investment is one of the best ways to achieve financial freedom. For a beginner there are so many challenges you face. It's hard to know how to get started. Trading on the Cryptocurrency market has really been a life changer for me. I almost gave up on crypto at some point not until saw a recommendation on Elon musk successfully success story and I got a proficient trader/broker Mr Bernie Doran , he gave me all the information required to succeed in trading. I made more profit than I could ever imagine. I'm not here to converse much but to share my testimony; I have made total returns of $20,500.00 from an investment of just $2000.00 within 1 week. Thanks to Mr Bernie I'm really grateful,I have been able to make a great returns trading with his signals and strategies .I urge anyone interested in INVESTMENT to take bold step in investing in the Cryptocurrency Market, he can also help you RECOVER your lost Cryptocurrencies. you can reach him on his Gmail : BERNIEDORANSIGNALS@GMAIL.COM
      , bitcoin is taking over the world, tell him I referred you🌘🌘🌘
      ➕➕➕➕

      Delete
  2. This is the most honest and best Sg Investment blog that I have read for years that prompted me to make my first ever comment.

    Thank you.

    I fully agree with you "It's OK to panic sell" Lao-sai indicator. For me, my indicator is the strong "butterfly-pulling" in my stomach. That was what happened in the early March 2020, when I finally decided to listen to this pain and sold-off my big loss of Sembcorp Ind and First REIT. The feeling was exceptional good after letting go these cancerous stocks in my portfolio.

    Having faced the BIG LOSS ($6K+) in a single day, the market drops now seem good opportunity to trade with the received cash on hands(and some savings as well).

    Having faced the demonic fear of loosing, it is now time to be courageous and not fearful.

    What I did then was to see which are the strongest stocks and which are the weakest stocks in my portfolio as compared to the STI index., the volume of daily trade (buy & sell) and how fast they recovered daily. For me, my strongest stocks turn out to be Mappletree Log Trust and Ascendas REIT. My weakest is SUNTEC REIT. I don't have ParkwayLife REIT, but it turn out to be quite strong during this COVID-19 period, albeit the daily volume is small. Just by catching the low of the day and sell as they bounce up daily for the 3 strong stocks and "Sell-low; buy-lower back" strategy for my weakest stock, I manage to re-coup back the lost during this whole month of March.

    Had I not "panic sell" those cancerous stocks, I will still be doing nothing and continue to have that butterfly=pulling in my stomach.

    Mark Lim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark Lim,

      Thank you for your compliment and dropping by with your first ever comment.

      I went to your blog too and read some of your posts. Congratulations on your CPF. Your retirement is safe, thanks to CPF. With your active Christian activities, you will have no problems filling up your time. I am pretty sure God will bless you with a happy retirement.

      One big advantage in letting go of cancerous stocks in the portfolio is to have clarity of mind. It's hard to make good decisions when the mind and heart is cluttered with emotional baggages.

      I see that you're an engineer. So am I. I'm sure you found it a breeze picking up on investment knowledge, especially for EE engineers who are able to understand Maxwell's equations and handle partial differential equations:)

      Have fun investing/trading but do be careful since you're near retirement. It's easy to get carried away in this game even for experienced players.

      Delete
  3. Obrigado,
    Meu grande hordeiro,
    Esta infomação é uma parte do segredo do medo,
    Criado por si mesmo,
    Qui nos deixa sentir oqui não enziste , o medo do qui criamos,
    Pensando gastando o seu sangue temporal da Mente,
    I depois disperdisalo por si mesmo,
    Noqui já cobissas,
    Eu axo de uma fraqueza mental do homem,
    Com oqui acabei de ler hoje ,faz mi sentir,
    Os outros tempos qui passei Como os gastos,
    Como um tempos viajei com distinos de desperdiços a busca,
    I nos momentos inportantes disperdisei ,
    Oqui buscava, mas hoje achei...
    Com algumas palavras,
    I por aqui, to firme no qui homem sou,
    Vindo da minha criação , qui é o nossos distinos do homem,
    É! e verdade no qui tememos doqui acreditamos,
    Mas porque qui as vezes a creditamos,
    Ate os qui perderão a Vida ,
    Morerão tambem, disputando deste pontos,
    Sim ou não esperando sim,
    Com todas responsabilidade do mundo nas mão,
    Somos pilotizados pela mente de acreditar no pozetivo,vem do sofrido,
    Não distinado, criamos em Nome divino,
    Qui nada divino vem dos murmuro dois ólhos num sou caminho,
    Acreditando em tudo fugindo a realidade , Como esperarmos por uma democrasia politica I depois a buzar ,
    Não gozar , o qui apresiavas já tems , I não cuidar,
    O qui nos faz a creditar em criar uma sociedade da pobreza, ou Na pobreza,
    Num mundo em qui todos no futuro imagina nobreza ,
    Vindo de quem?
    Si não consigimos criar ,ou aselerar com os sim ou não,
    Porque qui não, a si proprio,
    Mas sim oqui qui é do seus proprio conquisto,
    Com qui obra disenpenhamos a natureza mental limitado,
    A um logo online criado, I criando milhonarios os ariscados partisipantes,
    Com troca por um amanha,
    De sim ou não,
    Pondo o bem neste sentido de não,
    A conchegando um espirito pobre,
    Em nosso espirito,
    I aseitando ou esperando duma ajuda Rica,
    Dos qui criticamos,ou cobiçamos,
    No qui finguimos não acreditando,
    Por seus metodos I nossos abitos de disconverças, por mi oqui hoje lé,
    Mi inspiro muito nas disizão do um homem digo I reialista Como foi escrito nos livrotores do futuro,
    Qui fosse a Bible do mesmo jeito,
    Serto de nossos verdades ,
    São dinzenvolvidas não ,
    Paradas ou pendente ,
    Como nesta minha discrição em ponto de partida,
    Não axão-mi uma ação, no que sou pensa em criticar, iluguiando a parte insensiva , não nos prizionar no sim o não,
    Mas acreditando qui podes tentar,
    Como Eu pensei em dizer qui ,
    Vale apenas morer tentando, doqui morer falando,ou sentado,
    O cupando a cadera de roda numio dos difisientes qui chorão a cadeirã,
    Qui tu gozas sem deficiensia,,,
    Como o macacos ou burros, vivendo com o leõ ,
    I não tem permição de si almentar da carne,
    Mas com dentis qui sou cabe em ervas ,
    I tu homem Eu,
    Oqui gozo, ou lidero?
    Por mi , trasformamos o mundo au nosso favor,
    I um humano quando si cqnça tem manias de reclamar,
    Sem si recorder de gostar,
    Gostaria qui não nos cançasemos jovem,
    Por melhor qui veio ,
    Doqui passamos a murmurar a seclos atras por mi o resto e grato,
    Em grades auditoria publica, em qualquer redes socias ,
    Ou no mundo, Como a cresentei abiblia,
    Do conhesimento do homem suavel,
    I progrente das maravilha das duas imaguinação corporal,
    Natural ou cientifico ,humano
    Grato

    Por o qui lè hoje

    Foi pra mi justo I claro,
    Oqui é tudo oqui posso dizer,

    Muito dessa mensaguem vem,
    I e progredente,
    Si não julgar um reialista na sua publicação

    Justo I de homem o qui disse o homem,
    Escrevo I faço noqui dises,,
    Não a positive I um negative,
    É justo. O qui escreveste ,



    Meu grande de horá , das realizadas realidades ,
    Qui jà tão ficando famousas part info de mi,
    I dos mas outros qui vierem,

    To grato por vos seguir e deste tipo de conhesimento real qui busco no tempo, real

    Thanks obrigado
    Amigos
    Tenhão boas leituras...


    Aqui o Fernanda castiano Jose chumbe,
    Aka BIGNEY stanner,
    forever

    ReplyDelete

  4. Shaladarpan is the most dynamic database management webportal which has been established by Rajasthan government for the upgradation of education in Rajasthan in the present era of Information technology In this webportal pavzi.com, all the information about govt. aided schools & other education offices are available online as well as are kept updated. Not only the information but also the live data is available with primary & secondary schools students academic staff, now academic staff & schools.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Investment is one of the best ways to achieve financial freedom. For a beginner there are so many challenges you face. It's hard to know how to get started. Trading on the Cryptocurrency market has really been a life changer for me. I almost gave up on crypto at some point not until saw a recommendation on Elon musk successfully success story and I got a proficient trader/broker Mr Bernie Doran , he gave me all the information required to succeed in trading. I made more profit than I could ever imagine. I'm not here to converse much but to share my testimony; I have made total returns of $20,500.00 from an investment of just $2000.00 within 1 week. Thanks to Mr Bernie I'm really grateful,I have been able to make a great returns trading with his signals and strategies .I urge anyone interested in INVESTMENT to take bold step in investing in the Cryptocurrency Market, he can also help you RECOVER your lost Cryptocurrencies. you can reach him on WhatsApp : +1(424) 285-0682 or his Gmail : BERNIEDORANSIGNALS@GMAIL.COM
    , bitcoin is taking over the world, tell him I referred you🀄️🀄️🀄️🀄️🀄️🀄️
    🀄️🀄️🀄️🀄️

    ReplyDelete

Picking the right Valentine. A much more difficult task than picking the right stocks

9 years ago, I wrote about choosing your Valentine from a value investing standpoint. What I wrote then still stands today, Beauty is over...